Sunday 10 April 2011

a new rudder: make or buy?

After the rather interesting challenges of canoeing in a straight line with two people, I start researching into rudders for kayaks. The web brings up lots of links, just type it into ebay or google images. There are even videos on youtube of how to make your own.

so the options are: buy or make?

Buying one off the shelf sets you back anywhere between £70 from ebay to £250. And of course these are not bespoke to the one I own.
The obvious solution would be to contact the manufacturer of my canoe, and ask them for one...easier said than done. Who makes Ace Explorer 515, apparently they are a UK outfit, but the web is very devoid of any information. The closest matching links I have found are from a German and a US boating company.

Anyway, there is always the challenge of making one yourself for less than the price of a commercial unit.

So the challenge is set: can I make a rudder for less than £25?

No comments:

Post a Comment